Re: FW: Spark Plug Choice

To: MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Spark Plug Choice
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:41:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:30 -0400, Chip Old wrote to MG-T:

> You're confusing "reach" and "thread length".  They aren't the same thing.
> The original question was about the correct thread length for an XPAG engine
> with a Wolsely head on it.
>
> "Reach" refers to how far into the combustion chamber the electrodes
> extend.
> [stuff deleted]
> Thread length, as the name implies, is the length of the sparl plug's
> threads.
> [stuff deleted]

A couple of you wrote to me privately to disagree, saying the thread
length is "reach" and the distance the electrodes extend into the
combustion chamber is "extension".  Maybe.  I know my memory probably
isn't what it used to be, but digging around on the Web I found both your
definitions and mine used.

Anyway, the important points related to the discussion are (1) that
neither the thread length or the distance the electrodes extend into the
chamber determine the plug's heat range, and (2) the thread length of the
plug must match the depth of the corresponding threaded hole in the head.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland