Fan Belt Problem

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fan Belt Problem
From: Ted Jackson <ted@the-jacksons.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 20:47:26 -0400
Hi Listers,

This is an early 1951 MGTD #5554
For no particular reason except that the fan belt was solid (not
segmented) and of indeterminate age I decided to replace it with a
recommended new, segmented, belt.  That turns out to be a very good
decision because I now know the old belt was on its last legs - split
almost completely through.

But, for me at least, nothing is ever as easy as it seems.  Moving the
generator and getting the belt off the generator and water pump and over
the fan blades was quite straightforward.  But... between the crankshaft
fan belt pulley and the underlying crossmember plate there is not enough
clearance to remove the old belt.  So I thought I would use the hand
crank to turn the engine over manually and walk the old belt out that
way.  But the crank comes in to the pulley nut too high to engage the
engine.  The crank used to work just fine.  It appears that the front of
my engine is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch lower than it should be.

So, what's happening to me?  Motor mounts?   Something else that might
have broken?
How much clearance should there be beneath the crankshaft pulley?

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

--
Ted Jackson
Toronto, ON  CANADA

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0421-0, 2004.05.18
Tested on: 18/05/2004 8:47:27 PM