Acrylic Lacquer

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Acrylic Lacquer
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:14:46 -0400
Does anyone know where to purchase acrylic lacquer automotive paint? My '51
TD was painted in 1978 with RM (Rinshed-Mason) A-3120R Fleet Red which
should be very close to the specified Autumn Red (RM BM108R, Ditzler DDL
50930, or ICI 2752). I cannot find anyone that supplies any of these codes.

I called BASF/RM and was given the ten part formula for making the A-3120
lacquer paint, but it is in RM code and I cannot find anyone that knows what
this formula means today. BASF will not sell the paint directly and the
local shop they referred me to no longer sells lacquer (EPA restrictions).

I have gone to two local shops, once in 2000 and again last week. In both
cases, they took a computer reading from the sample I supplied (tool box
lid). In both cases the red was leaning too much toward the bluish end of
the spectrum rather than the orange. Last week they tried to modify the
computer reading by adding additional tint, but it was still a failure
(fortunately there was no cost to me - one gallon would have been $223).

Two attempts and two failures. Can anyone recommend a source for acrylic
lacquer according to manufacture's code (I have given up on computer
analysis)?

Stu Keen
1951 MG TD Mark II