Rear End Leak

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear End Leak
From: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 16:50:22 -0400
My 1953 MGTD has recently developed a new leak. There is a seepage of
differential oil coming out from the end of the axle housing. To best
describe it, referring to the Moss Motors exploded view of the TD Rear
Axle, the seepage is coming from between the large axle shaft housing
and part 16 "housing", or in other words between the two pieces that the
four bolt 17's hold together.

I see there is an oil seal (#19 in the diagram) but it seems to be
installed on the half shaft past the point of leakage, to prevent oil
from coming out the end of the shaft into the brake drum area. I have a
new seal and it looks simple enough to replace, but is it going to stop
the leakage? Any advice would be appreciated.

--Nels Anderson
  1953 TD 28177