Where's The Squeek?

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Where's The Squeek?
From: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 08:43:05 -0400
While out driving yesterday on perhaps the nicest day of the year around
here my TD developed a squeek. Intermittent at first, by the time I got
the car home the noise was continuous. My initial thought was a loose
fan belt, but when the noise became continuous it was apparent that it
was related to car speed and not engine speed, so that eliminated the
loose belt theory.

I was driving with another MG owner so we had a chance to listen to and
think about the noise on the way home. The noise appears to come from
the left (driver's side) front. The car was jacked up and the left front
wheel spun and it spun easily, with no squeek apparent. For comparison,
the right front was jacked up and spun too. This wheel did not turn as
easy though it would spin at least a few revolutions before stopping; it
did not squeek either.

There were no signs of an odor, heat or smoke or anything you'd expect
from something rubbing like a misaligned brake or a bearing going bad.

Being a "late" TD there is a little hub that is removed to examine the
ends of the bearings. On both sides there were no obvious signs of
problems and there appeared to be fresh grease on the edges of the
bearings where they are visible.

While things were off we did the simple brake-shoe adjustment as
described in Section M.2 of the shop manual. Though the procedure
described is not exactly possible...the text describes two access holes,
one for each of the two "Micram" adjusters. But the manual's pictures
and the actual car only have one hole, so I guess you have to adjust
them one at a time? That's what we did at any rate and the adjustments
appeared to do what it's suppose to do...turn all the way one way would
lock up the brakes, backing off would unlock them.

Being close to midnight at that pointed we stopped for the night.

I'm not quite sure how to continue the diagnosis of the problem at this
point...any suggestions would be appreciated.

--Nels Anderson
  1953 TD28177