Re: Additional Lighting

To: "Andrew Moyce, M.D." <amoyce@pol.net>
Subject: Re: Additional Lighting
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:21:57 -0700
A set of halogen lights for the head lights will not draw much more than
the standard headlights and will improve the lighting somewhat.  A set
of driving lights with a moderate current draw should be ok as there
were fog/driving lights available for the TDs back in the 50s.  As long
as you are not going to put on the 1,000,000 candle power flame throwers
on the car, things would work with the standard 19 amp generator.  As an
aside, driving with the head lights on should be as effective for being
seen as added driving lights, at least that is my thought in always
driving with the head lights on.  By the way, I use halogen bulbs in the
head lights.  Andy, It is a minor task to convert your transistorized
clock and fuel pump to negative ground.  All that is required is a
different transistor and possibly reversing a diode, if one is used.  I
would assume that you have a fair amount invested in the modified
alternator.  If so, the cost of converting the clock and fuel pump would
be relatively minor and then you would have the larger amount of power
of the alternator available to add any electrical device you might
desire (shoot, you could even add one of those sound systems that will
propel the car down the road without the use of the engine).

Cheers,
Dave