Re: Steering Rack Lubrication

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Lubrication
From: deboer@deboer.net
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:30:41 -0700
With this great big flurry back-and-forth about "grease" or "oil", and "may" or
"must", has anybody considered that grease is just oil that has been
encapsulated

in a soap lattice to keep it from running out of the joint and being lost?
In over 40 years and well over 1000 TD&TFs through the door,  I found that fewer
than 10% showed signs of EVER having their rack lubed!

I think it more important that it occasionally get SOMETHING rather than to
worry

about the medium. Modern lithium greases travel nearly as well as gear oil.
Also,  the
motion being lubed  is MUCH less and less "loaded" than elsewhere on the cars.
The greases also have much better "cling" than oil so the interval can be
longer,
and (since the wear in the steering rack is almost totally  due to dirt entry
rather than running "dry") I believe you guys could better spend your time
worrying about the condition of your rack boots than about what is "specified"
for lubing the rack.

Inspect the boots regularly - very much like the CV joint boots on your modern
FWD everyday "driver". As those split, so does the money in your wallet!

Jarl de Boer