Re: Steering Rack Lubrication

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Lubrication
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:54:49 -0600
Bob:

<<<snip>>>
 The MGB manual, written ~15 years after the TD manual, suggested oil
also.
<<<snip>>>
The copy of the MGB manual I have which goes up to 1972 "specifies" oil
not "suggests" oil for the rack.

As I explained to Stu off the list, the inner tie rod joints on my
Datsun 240Z are lubed with grease as is the rack.  BUT, it is
constructed just like a lower suspension ball joint and has grease
grooves cut in it as a lower suspension ball joint does.  The inner ball
joint of MG's up to at least my 1972 manual date don't have these
grooves to allow the grease to work into the joint.

Blake