Re: Steering Rack Lubrication

To: MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Lubrication
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:03:14 -0400 (EDT)
Dick didn't write that material.  He just edited the book, pulling
together Tech articles from TSO and other places.  Some other guy wrote
the technical articles.  I forget his name...  :-)

Anyway, you'll get lots of argument about oil versus grease in the
steering rack.  The advantage of oil is that it creeps into all the
corners of the rack better than grease does, so is more likely to provide
passable lubrication even if you don't use enough.  On the other hand,
grease will get into all the cracks and crevasses just fine *if* you pump
plenty of it in.  It has the advantages of not requiring a separate gun,
and of staying in the rack instead of running out.

If you have an oil gun or a bulk-load grease gun that you can put oil in,
then use oil.  If not, use grease.  Either will do the job.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E