Re: Lucas Sport Coil/Timing

To: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: Lucas Sport Coil/Timing
From: Gerald Felper <felperg@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:45:41 -0800
Lawrie Alexander wrote:

> Bill,
>
> We have found that a plug gap of 35 thousandths works well with the Lucas
> Sport Coil.
>
> As for timing, using premium gas, we find 38 degrees at 3,000 r.p.m. to give
> good results. It does depend on your compression ratio, though. If your head
> has been shaved many times, and the bore size increased, you might find that
> 38 degrees is too much. If you notice pinging at this setting, back off the
> timing till the pinging stops.
>
> BTW, whatever you get for full advance at 5,000 rpm is already there by
> 3,000 (unless your distributor weights are out of whack) so let's not be
> risking turning the engine into shrapnel by revving to 5K, unloaded,
> unnecessarily!

The original TC/TD dist. had 150 maximum advance. This relates to 300
crank. The TF dist had 120 maximum. I have filed out the stop holes on
the dist. plate to increase the maximum advance to 180 or 360
crank. This will increase the power with good gas, which they did not
have in England at the end of WW2. If a timing light is used to set
the timing than you will have 60 at idle and 360 maximum.  There was a
180 dist plate available in when the cars were new and that seems to
be the best for the gas we have today.

Jerry Felper

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]