Re: Lucas Sport Coil/Timing

To: Bill Loubiere <loubiere@earthlink.net>, MG-T List
Subject: Re: Lucas Sport Coil/Timing
From: Skip Kelsey <Kelsey@shadetreemotors.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:09:55 -0800
Bill:

The N5C plugs are fine in a long reach cyl head. The lucas sport coil is an
excellent coil. I and most of my friends use this coil.
I would suggest starting with about .025 thou. gap on plugs. You can
experiment with gaps up to .035, but I dont think you will gain anything
with the larger gaps, unless you install electronic ignition.
The timing should always be set statically first, by at least 5 degrees
advance. If you check top end after this, it will depend on what the
centrifigal advance has already been put in the distributor. The early
dist. had about 32-35 degrees, the later ones had only about 24 degrees.I
run a mallory dual point distributor, and had mallory set the advance at
about 27 degrees. On top of this, I use about 5-7degrees static. It give
faster spark to match the stage three plus tune of the engine. I run about
9.5 to 1 compression on an .100 over bored engine. I have very "spirited"
acceleration. These engines respond very well to increased compression. The
original 7.25 to 1 compression was designed for low octane (72) petrol.
With todays fuel, higher compression is better, and quite noticable at the
throttle.

Cheers:

Skip Kelsey
www.shadetreemotors.com

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]