Manifold Nut Problem

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Manifold Nut Problem
From: "Scott Allen" <s4usea@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:59:12 GMT

All,

Before I begin I'll say up front that I feel pretty stupid...

During the restoration of my TD I misplaced the nuts that bolt the manifold
to muffler, so I ordered new ones.  They came without washers, and since I'd
misplaced the old ones I didn't know any better.  To make a long story short
after 150 miles or so of running the nuts worked their way off the studs.
So I guess they do need washers.

Heres my question: I'm inclined to put copper washers on the nuts, but the
drawings in the Moss and Abingdon catalog show lock washers.  This doesn't
make alot of sense to me as I figure they will just get crushed when you
torque the nuts down.  So, anybody out there have a similar experience, and
what kind of washer do you reccommend using?

Thanks in advance,

Scott Allen

52TD