Re: Ammeter

To: simbafish@home.com, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ammeter
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 15:59:23 EDT
In a message dated 6/7/00 12:52:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
simbafish@home.com writes:

<< To prove further that the meter is probably okay, I removed it from the
 TD and put a 12 vdc 10 amp battery charge across it. A good healthy
 switch in the correct direction. I switched charger leads and the needle
 swung in the opposite direction. Doesn't this indicate the meter is okay?

Stu, if the meter wasn't bad before, it is now!  An ammeter is a very low
impedance device.  If you put a voltage source across the terminals, like a
battery charger, which doesn't have much internal impedance, the current that
would flow would fry the meter instantly.  You'd never see the needle flick
it would happen so fast.....having said that, I don't believe your meter was
ok even before you bought the car.  I'd send it to MoMa for repair.
Terry