Ammeter

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ammeter
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 15:52:24 -0400
I am mystified by the ammeter in my 51 MGTD. I will be most appreciative
if someone on the net can assist. This is an old problem that has not
been tackled until now.

When I purchased the TD a year ago, I was told that the ammeter did not
function, but since the ignition light did function properly
(extinguished as soon as the engine/generator started), the ammeter was
superfluous. However, I would like to get EVERYTHING on my TD functional
as intended.

When I turn on the ignition, there is an initial small swing to the
negative side (the ammeter is a center scale, plus/minus 30 amp
movement). That indicates to me that the meter is operational. However,
I NEVER see it moving after that. I can turn on the headlights with or
without the engine running, and the meter gives no indication of current drain.

While the meter was still in the car, I put a 9 vdc battery across the
terminals (12 vdc car battery was disconnected). The needle moved
slightly in one direction. I switched leads, and the needle moved in the
opposite direction. Good indication.

To prove further that the meter is probably okay, I removed it from the
TD and put a 12 vdc 10 amp battery charge across it. A good healthy
switch in the correct direction. I switched charger leads and the needle
swung in the opposite direction. Doesn't this indicate the meter is okay?

I have checked the wiring from both ammeter terminals. It appears
correct - one side to the battery and panel test point, the other side
to the second terminal on the regulator and to the clock.

Why does the ammeter not function in the TD? Battery is charging as
indicated by the ignition light and the fact that I have driven a year
with no battery problems.

I am thinking that perhaps something is amiss with the regulator. How do
you check this out and is this a probable cause?

Stu Keen
Venice, FL
simbafish@home.com