Re: Stuck Valve on TD

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stuck Valve on TD
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:31:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, BobMGT@aol.com wrote to mg-t@autox.team.net:

> I just did a partial rebuild on my XPAG. I had the cylinder head done
> by a professional British car mechanic, new everything on the head
> plus hardened valve seats. I ran the engine in the garage yesterday
> for an hour between 1500 and 2000 rpm. All was well. Today I took it
> out for a very mild drive around the neighborhood. A couple blocks
> from home the number two exhaust valve stuck. It eventually popped
> back out and I made it home. Is this a big problem or just a normal
> thing with a recently rebuilt engine?

Did the rebuild include bronze valve guides? They have a higher expansion
rate than the standard cast iron guides, so require a thou or so more
clearance to keep the valve stems from siezing when the guides and the
valves heat up.  It's usually more critical on exhaust guides than on
intakes.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E