Re: SMOG DOOM AGAIN!!!

To: british-cars-owner@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SMOG DOOM AGAIN!!!
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 06:45:50 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:58:08 -0700
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Subject: SMOG DOOM

Jay Laifman wrote:

I don't intend to create a false alarm or anything, but today's LA Times
had an article that California is far behind on meeting the Federal Clean
Air Act.. . . . . . . . . . . The report apparently specifically says
eliminating an exemption for pre-1974 cars would help reduce emissions,. .
. . .opposed in the Legislature and by motorists. . . . . .  At some point,
those fines are going to outweigh upsetting some motorists.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Listers & Jay

To br fair, my 69 Malibu and 67 Minor have all of their original smog parts
and should pass smog test if need be - This still will not help the State
of California lower smog levels UNLESS they draft new, lower specs and
limits that would be ruled unconstitutional in Federal court, basically
asking owners to provide lower emissions than originally required from
manufacturers. Most of the old car testing juice seems to come from the
state licensed independent test station opperators and test equipment
manufacturers who miss the pre-'74 test money and has little to do with
polution.

What about stationary polution standards that have allowed large poluting
corperations to buy, sell and trade "polution credits" based on old cars
that have been bought from the public and scrapped without the recycling of
parts???  What about California's large fleet of electric cars that were
mandated after the year 2000 by law a few years ago???  What about a public
transportation alternative??

Lincoln Blvd, between Santa Monica and the LA Airport is now one of the
most crowded roads in the world. When I was at a public meeting about
traffic, I asked a LA City transportation official what they were doing
about light rail or any other public transportation projects that might be
in the works, and was told with a smile that they were going to put six
more busses on the Lincoln line - period!!!!!

So let me get this straight - corperations can buy off their
responsability, Cities can stall and cheap out on public transport and we
old car owners will be expected to give up driving our old cars and buy new
Hondas so they can do ten years of federally funded testing so they can
tell us that it didn't work a decade from now???  Here in California, it's
all about money. Smog is at the lowest level since they started testing in
the mid-1950s with more cars and more people.  Maybe we all should go to
Cuba with Ellion - they at least get to drive old cars there!

This is a travesty of a mockery of a sham.

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
Venice, CA