Re: rear axle nuts, clutch and pedal shaft

To: "mg-t@autox.team.net" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear axle nuts, clutch and pedal shaft
From: Francis Precht <fprecht@mail.frostburg.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:02:26 -0400
Thanks for the rapid responses.  I'm amazed at how fast people respond
to this discussion list.  I also noticed
that my typing was pretty bad on the original post !

Seriously, I wasn't aware that you'd be unable to activate the clutch by
hand - thanks Tim.  For a while I was worried
something REALLY bad happened (although that is still a possibility).  I
do plan on disassembly of the clutch for inspection but I was trying to
keep things in order from rear to front for sanity sake--too much to do
to keep it all straight - better to take things in small steps to
maintain my sanity and interest.

Now, the rear end - I need to remove the HUB/REAR AXLE NUT on the rear
to gain access to the brake shoes, cylinders, check splines....and
remove the backing plate for rebuilding.  I guess I wasn't too clear on
that earlier.  I do NOT want to remove the pinion flange nut but DO want
to remove the axle shaft nut - but the axle spins.  I had planned on
putting the car into gear and letting the engine stop the rear axle from
rotating, but that's when the clutch confusion arose.

>From the posts and other e-mails I have received it seems a 'BIG STICK'
approach is called for (wedge pipe/angle iron between/bolted to the
wheel studs or a big screwdriver to stop rotation is the trick).  Schach
notes that these nut are torqued to 150ft. lbs (pg. 58) and I didn't
want to mess anything up before I even get the bits into pieces.  As a
relative 'newbie' to this game I'm always a little gun-shy to press-on
so much that I distort something that is not easily replaced.

Interestingly, and more confusing, is that LHD and RHD pedal shafts are
so different.  LHD clutch pedal is keyed to the shaft which also
rotates, RHD is not keyed and does not rotate.  LHD has a greaser, RHD
does not.  LHD shaft has an arm on the inboard end, RHD is a straight
shaft with circlips on both ends.  Lack of lubrication on the pedal
bushes has lead to nearly 3/4inch side-to-side play in the brake pedal,
thus my concern for future lubrication of new bushings.

Again, thanks for the insights.  Now I gotta go find a big gorilla or an
impact wrench.
Francis (Bud) Precht