TC Adventures

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: TC Adventures
From: John Swanland <jswanland@gw.wesley.vic.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:10:41 +1100
Today's a beautiful summer day in Melbourne Australia, so I decided to take
the TC to work (approx 25 miles).  On the freeway, at 7 in the morning, I
noticed that the oil pressure was quickly dropping to zero.  By the time I
pulled over, the TC had pumped out most of its oil though a tiny crack in the
oil pipe from the pump to the filter.

This also happened to me about 12 years ago in the middle of the night in New
South Wales.  Since then I have always carried spare oil pipes.  I replaced
the broken pipe (18 months old, bought new from Moss) with my spare (repairied
in rural garage 12 years ago after break and used successfully for 10 years!)

I have enough oil in the scuttle mounted can plus a litre in the back to reach
the bottom of the dipstick so I could drive slowly to a nearby shop and buy
more oil.  I then continued to work.  Total time lost, 40 minutes.  I wear a
suit to work so the whole job had to be done in a suit.

What did I learn?

1.  Scanning the oil pressure gauge regularly is important.
2.  Carrying spare oil pipes (and relevant tools) is a good idea
3.  Carry spare oil

I'm sure that this happens to all TA, TB TC owners from time to time

be prepared!

John Swanland
Melbourne Australia