RE: 5 speed question

To: rockyfrisco@earthlink.net, mg-t@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: 5 speed question
From: Lewis Palmer <lpalmer@vanstar.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:55:56 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Rocky Frisco [mailto:rockyfrisco@earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, January 08, 1999 6:45 PM
To: mg-t@Autox.Team.Net

Rocky Frisco wrote:
>What I wanted to add to the
>discussion is that rolling tyre diameter is the last thing to set the
>ratio of engine speed to road speed, so was wondering if somebody might
>make a tad higher profile tyre that still has enough strength to keep
>the handling from deteriorating? Wouldn't this help a bit?

It sure would. I would guess there is probably as much as 10% to be gained
by having a bigger tire diameter. But most of the larger tires are bias ply,
and I think I'd stick to my Dunlop SP20 radials (165SR15). There was
recently an article in MGA magazine on that very subject, but a lot of those
tires are pretty pricey - Dunlop SP20s are about $50 per tire here in
Minnesnowta.

I have opted for the 4.55 conversion as I am a bit more concerned about hill
climbing ability than all out speed. I'm only looking to drop about 500 RPMs
at any given speed. The 4.55, I figure, will do that nicely.

Lew