Re: 5 speed question

To: amoyce@pol.net
Subject: Re: 5 speed question
From: mgbob@juno.com (Bob Howard)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 20:23:24 EST
Andy,
  I agree with your thought that these cars were designed for high revs
per mile, but think that was not very important at the time they were
built.
  When they were built, less than half the roads in England were paved,
and  a fast day's motoring meant travelling at an average of about 40
mph.  Autombiles were generally geared so that the most common highway
hills could be climbed in top gear, in the USA, on the Continent and the
UK.  This hill climbing ability, and the engineering practice that called
for the horsepower peak to occur at the point where the very great wind
resistance to the car limited the speed to the developed horsepower and
lead to this gearing that we find uncomfortable today.
  As the MkII cars and the TFs had 3 or 6 more hp (depending on the
source of the information) they had the 4.875 gears instead of the 5.125
gear ratio that was carried over from the TC with its larger wheels.  The
TDs, then, suffer from this high engine speed per mile/lower cruising
speed problem more than TCs.
  What I am trying to get around to noting is that the high revs/mile
were a result of road conditions and existing tooling rather than an
intention  to have high revs. When the cars were built, multi grade
detergent oils were just being developed, grease intervals were 500
miles, and it was expected that the dampers would be removed and tested
every 12,000 miles. It didn't really make for a problem, though, because
no one drove MGs that many miles in the course of daily life, and they
didn't drive long distances at high speeds.  While the engines will
happily rev up and run at 4200 all day long, they just won't do it for as
many days as one would like.
  Cedarstrand notes the tendancy of the engines to crack their bearings
at an early age when run at US speeds of the early 70s. Our 55 mph speed
limit was a good thing for our TDs.
  I changed the gears in my MkII to 4.1, running on 5.60x15 tires. Next
time I buy tires, it will be 165x15 radials, with a smaller rolling
circumference, as I think the bias plys give an overall gearing that's
just a touch too high. There is bound to be some degradation of
acceleration, but I haven't had a chance to drag race a standard car so
don't really know how great it is.  Second and third gears are much more
useable than before.
   I thought about the Datsun gearbox, but figured that the gear change
was more easily reversible.  We live in coastal CT where it seems that
any place we want to go almost always requires turnpike driving.  Were we
in another area, I might not have changed the gearing. On the back roads,
I do find it necessary to use 3rd gear to climb some hills that could
formerly be done in 4th, but I think (without doing the math to be
certain) that the car is running up the hills at about the same road
speed.
  My concern was, actually, not so much the wear on the engine from high
rev operation  but the fear of being run over by drivers who think that
the current 65 limit is the speed at which one still has a gear to shift
up into, and that more than five feet between them and the MG ahead is
too much space.
  I had not heard about the OD idea. Do you think there is enough space
at the rear axle? I don't think there is any extra room at the gearbox
for it, judging from the size of the unit in my MGB.  If you see any more
information on it, please forward.
Bob