Re: [Roadsters] 1600 tuning issues

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 1600 tuning issues
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:17:53 -0600
Like Pete said, lots of good suggestions, but remember there's an order to
be followed. As was mentioned, first make sure the distributor is in good
condition and functioning properly.Worn bushings on the shaft, or anything
else that creates play in the shaft leads to erratic timing. I'm not sure
if the breaker point mounting plate is still available, but that's always
been a weak point in most of the Nissan units.

Set up the points first, preferably using a dwell meter instead of by
measuring the point gap. Then you need to set the initial timing. That
varies somewhat by model and year, or if you've got a breakerless setup.
IMO, it is best to swap in a breakerless system. Doing so takes away many
of the normal trouble spots in an ignition system. Even on a breakerless
distributor the distributor shaft and mechanical advance systems still need
to be checked. As I mentioned you need a dwell meter to set the points and
a decent timing light to set the timing. Eyeballing either just doesn't
work.

After the timing's set properly you can start looking at the carbs. First
thing I'd look for is any play in the throttle shafts. If they're worn
you'll never get the carbs set so that the engine runs properly. If the
shafts are okay, check the float levels and other items mentioned.

HTH,
Ron