Re: [Roadsters] 1600 tuning issues

To: gordon.e.maness@hotmail.com, Roadster E-Mail List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 1600 tuning issues
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 20:49:45 -0800
Jumping a chain tooth in an interference engine is a good point.  I
jumped a tooth in my second 2000 many years ago and replaced the chains,
gears, upper tensioner, and at least 3 valves if I remember correctly.
all for around $30.00 at the time.

I am just finishing installing new timing chains in Mr. Hyde and even
though I was trying to be very careful about damaging the head gasket, I
had a huge oil leak after reassembly.  I spent last Sunday searching for
the source of the leak and then replacing the head and manifold
gaskets.  Should be good for another 10 years and I hope more than
18,000 miles.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Las Vegas
http://www.datsun2000.com
http://www.nowroc.org

On 11/27/2012 12:24:22 PM, Gordon Maness (gordon.e.maness@hotmail.com)
wrote:
 > Aren't these 'interfearance' (timing jumps a tooth = piston and valve
contact)
 > engines? If so then the chain can not be an issur.
 > > Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:49:30 -0800
 > > From: roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com
 > > To: ppeters914@comcast.net; datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net;
 > hrhaslett@yahoo.com
 > > Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 1600 tuning issues
 > >
 > > Sure sounds like a timing issue (especially with the run-on). If
this was
 > > 2000 I would guess you were a tooth off on your timing chain, but that
 > would
 > > be much less common/probable with the short 1600 chain. It did this
all of
 > > sudden? Did you have a rough start or something that could have
caused it
 > > jump timing? Since you cannot adjust at the dizzy, it might be worth a
 > > look...
 > >

 > > Mike Harper, CAI, AARE
 > > Harper Auction & Realty
 > > 843-729-4996