RE: GB EI Distributor problem

To: <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GB EI Distributor problem
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:38:56 -0500
Pat wrote:
Is there a reason you can't just put the distributor in and crank it around
until the timing is correct? It may be that the plug wire connections on the
cap won't be anywhere close to where they need to be once the spark timing
is set correctly.

Pat,
You're exactly right. Connections not where they need to be.
I got bold, took the thing apart, pulled the EI device, pulled the screws
out of the channels along the sides, pulled the screws out of the stator.
Turns out the base thing ISNT keyed. Not to one SPECIFIC place anyway. It
seems that there may be more than one place this can be positioned... maybe
for different cars. I got the base that the stator screws into (with the 3
screws) spun around. It's now in the same orientation (the 3 screws) as the
one in Leigh's picture. I put it all back together. It looks like it may
work!! Now if the damn rain would stop so I can try it out!!! I've had so
much practice with this thing that I can get a diz out and back in in 5
minutes. HAHAHAHAHA!!! I can't believe it took a year to get the courage to
dismantle the thing. I was just SURE it was me doin' something wrong. Leigh,
I couldn't have done this without your picture! You're a lifesaver!

I'll let y'all know.

Matt Smith and Tater the wonder puppy

And of course Loreli (she's a 70' Silver Solex SRL311)