RE: GB EI Distributor problem

To: <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: RE: GB EI Distributor problem
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:17:19 -0500
>From Pat: I suspect that it is not different, but off the same amount. That
make the problem more easily solved, the distributor drive shaft under the
distributor is off.  All you need to do is pull the shaft up (it will turn
as it comes up) and reposition it until the distributor comes back into
time.

>From Stan: You can change the initial distributor timing by repositioning
the intermediate shaft in relation to the jackshaft gear.  The intermediate
shaft is the piece that the drive tip of the distributor engages.  It is
necessary to remove the distributor to access the intermediate shaft.  Lift
and rotate the shaft and then drop it back.

Good Morning Guys. Thank you again for your input. I have tried changing the
timing that way. Even pulled off the distributor stand, re-positioned the
gear at the bottom so the oil pump lines up differently. While this does
change the position of the rotor in the distributor, it also changes the
position of the rotor in relation to the distributor cap. I can make the
little points (rotor and stator) line up at the right time, but then the
rotor (plastic rotor arm) isn't pointing to the contact on the cap. It's off
by just as much as the picture shows. About 30 degrees retarded. This is a
static issue. It doesn't have to be in the car for the problem to present
itself, if that makes sense. If the round piece with the 3 screws was spun
about 50 degrees, it would work perfectly I think. I just don't know enough
about how a distributor is put together to figure out how to spin that part.
It seems that it's keyed somehow to be in one specific position, but I
haven't seen where.

Matt Smith and Tater the wonder puppy

And of course Loreli (she's a 70' Silver Solex SRL311)