RE: Theft Protection

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: RE: Theft Protection
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 23:35:19 -0700
I installed a paging alarm system on the trunk/interior wall of Mr. Hyde
inside of the trunk. The horn is mounted on the bottom of the shelf above
the rear axle, which makes it very hard to get at while it is making noises.
Power is tapped off of the feed to the power antenna, which is mounted on
the left rear fender.

You would need a hole for the wires to the horn, and in my case I needed to
add door switches because the alarm system resets itself if the door is not
opened within 30 seconds after the alarm system is disarmed. The wiring
harness from the dash to the trunk can be run over the rear fenders and then
in the outside corner of the floorboard where it meets the door. You might
need a hole at the bottom of the interior side panel behind the seat if you
go this route.

As to the antenna for the paging alarm system, the book says to keep it at
least 2" away from any metal surfaces. That is a problem in the roadster and
I pondered that one for quite a while, considering a special bracket that
would attach to the hardtop attachment point located at the top center of
the trunk wall. I did not like that idea and finally figured out that my
Miata seats don't have speakers in the headrest, so the antenna is in the
right seat headrest. Eventually I plan to create a custom vertical console
for the dash to accept a standard 183mm radio mount and install an XM radio.
That antenna will go in the left seat headrest. Out of site, out of mind.
Unfortunately the radio itself will be visible. I am a big believer in stock
radios for most cars because it saves wear and tear on the glass.

Tom
69 2000, Mr. Hyde
Portland
http://www.datsun2000.com