Re: Cop Stories

To: dc@datsuns.net
Subject: Re: Cop Stories
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 05:12:56 GMT
Oh man, that one made me laugh out loud!

Like many of you, I have had my share of dealing with cops who had "issues",
but have also had a few that were cool.  Once, while driving that same Datsun
PU home from band practice in Seattle (I play the drums), I got pulled over on
a stretch of hiway that eventually leads to what is known as the "Viaduct" in
Seattle.  There was no easy place to pull over (and yes, I was speeding) so it
took me a while, leading the officer to become a bit "direct" on the loud
speaker... "Pull that car over NOW!"  Then lots of directives like "put your
hands outside the window" and "DO NOT move" etc.  I had a canopy on the back,
and the back window was mirrored so you could not see in.  He directs me out of
the car, me with my hands on my head, grumbling about how "I HATE cars I can't
see in."  Seeing that I was ok, he told me to get back in the car, license and
registration etc.  Then he says, "So Greg, what is your story?"  I told him
this story about how I did not think that my speedo read correctly due to the
incorrect tire size on my car, etc, so I tended to compensate... blah blah
blah.  He patiently listened to my story, then said with a bit of a smile
"Greg, ya know what?  You're full of shit.  We tested that all out when I was a
cop in LA, and you are full of shit.  However, you have a good attitude, so
this is what I suggest... drive on home, mind the speed, and have a good
night... but don't let me catch you speeding on my streets again, OK?"  "OK" I
said.  So off he goes, heading on down the road.  It took me a bit to get my
stuff back into the glove box, but after a short time I was back on the road.
Well, a couple miles later while driving on the Viaduct, I approached a timed
light... you know, the type that switch on a timer even if there is nobody
wanting to cross.  My normal response to a yellow light at the time was FLOOR
IT but this time I decided not to, specifically remembering what the cop had
said.  The car behind me however followed my normal procedure, running the
light in the process... and out from the darkness came my friendly cop!  After
the light changed, I drove for a bit and shortly found my friendly cop with the
guy pulled over, listening to his "bullshit" story.  My guess is that he was
not so lucky... I am sure cops can only take so much crap before they just have
had enough.
Greg Burrows

-- Dennis Currington <dc@datsuns.net> wrote:
A Picture is worth a 1000 words :-)