Re: HELP. Clutch Squeal?

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: HELP. Clutch Squeal?
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 07:41:52 -1000
Mike:

I have a mild and respectful disagreement regarding the mileage capability of
the roadster 4 speed tranny, based upon my own (albeit, limited) experience.

I had slightly over 140,000 miles on my original (new) tranny, when I rebuilt
the counter shaft assy, based upon it failing the "wiggle" test (it did move
slightly, maybe, 10-20 thousandths).

When disassembled, the countershaft, itself, showed less than half the wear
than the countershaft of my other tranny which had started breaking teeth in
3rd.  I drove it quite a while, just skipping that gear, until I had a chance
to rebuild my original.

Still think that Aaron's squeal is likely caused by a failure of the clutch
release bearing coupled with a misadjustment - lack of clearance (which may
well have caused the failure of the release bearing).  That may be all he needs
to replace, but I agree that it certainly is an appropriate time to give his
countershaft a "wiggle test".

Dave
'68 1600
Kailua-Kona