Re: HELP. Clutch Squeal?

To: "Aaron Spesard" <banzai311@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: HELP. Clutch Squeal?
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 07:42:17 -0500
On the 4 speeds you need to check the countershaft, the counter shaft needle
bearings and the countershaft gear as they go bad within 50,000 miles or
less and if the bearings go it can chew up the shaft and the gear and if
you're real unlucky it'll wipe out the entire tranny. Datsun copied the MG
trannies and they have this weakness also. The 5 speeds use ball bearings
and they last a lot longer.

I have disassembled many 4 speeds and they all needed new bearings and
shafts and several needed new gears too.

As a matter of routine maintenance I always replace the shaft and bearings
whether they needed it or not.

I would also look at the synchros and possibly replace those also. A synchro
can be good one day and go bad the next - I know as it happened to me.

Sorry to give you bad news but these trannies are old and they almost all
have a good amount of mileage on them.

It's better to do it now when the tranny is out rather than have to pull
everything out again.

BTW, I live in NYC so someone else will need to give you a recommendation.
There are a lot of Roadster owners by you and maybe you can throw an 'engine
pulling' party.

The trannies are not hard to rebuild but you need some good tools,
creativity and patience, and maybe borrow another used tranny to be used as
a guide when reassembling it. I spent about $250 in parts to rebuild mine
(or I should say Ivin's) and it took me about 20 hours or so, most of which
was spent cleaning everything as metal and grunge collects everywhere.

Mike