RE: Re-installing my U20

To: "Autox \(E-mail\)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re-installing my U20
From: "Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 10:30:38 -0800
Perry:

I'm a little surprised you got the motor out without pulling the
transmission as well. I have never seen it done that way before. On my R16,
it's not that much work to unbolt the rear trans mount, the driveshaft and
gearshift, unhook the wires and cables and just yank the whole thing. Since
I'm on my back under the car to put everything back on, another handful of
bolts is not that big a deal. Besides, it seems it would be way easier to
align the input shaft to the motor if it were outside the engine bay.

As far as the manifold goes, an aftermarket header seems to solve the
clearance problem nicely. I recall the first time I pulled the engine, I had
to unbolt the stock exhaust manifold to get it out. With the header, it's
still a tight fit, but it will R&R without pulling everything off.

Paul Bauman
67 1600
Westminster, CA