Valve Noise, Backfiring and NOS 2L SU Carbs

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve Noise, Backfiring and NOS 2L SU Carbs
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:06:13 -0400
500 miles after I had my stroker rebuilt I started having problems with a
noisy valve on #1 exhaust. I would redo the clearances and after 50 miles it
would make the same old racket again. This has continued for too long and
after my last voyage to Bridgehampton a few weeks ago I vowed not to use my
car until I got it fixed.

I always thought it was my cam and lifter going south. Well, I finally
pulled my engine on Monday (by myself) and ripped into it yesterday. After
taking off the oil pan and closely looking at the cam I realized the cam was
OK and it was not the cause of the problem. I examined the head and the
valve seats were fine and not receded. I disassembled the rocker assembly
and that was fine also. I checked the pushrods for straightness and they
were fine also.

Today I brought the head into the engine shop and they disassembled it. We
found sticking exhaust valves on #1 and #4 and unusual wear patterns on
those valves and seats. In some areas of the rotation all was well but when
the valves rotated to a different part they would stick slightly opened.
These are custom stainless Manley valves. They're going to slightly cut the
valves and seats and open the guides up a bit to give a bit more clearance.
I think long periods of rest may have also been a factor.

After finding the valve problems the guys said this would also cause the
backfiring problem I had on deceleration.

NOS 2L Carb Bodies - I bought a set of from a friend that came off a parts
car he bought that previous mechanics could never get to run correctly.
After that guy threw tons of money into the car he gave up on it and sold it
to my friend.

On one of the carbs the butterfly was not centered and remained open about
1/8" hence an extremely fast idle to say the least which was one of the
problems with the car.

After examining them further the pistons were getting stuck at the bottom
indicating an off centered nozzle on both of them. I centered them.

I checked the chokes and they were not set up correctly either and the
butterfly openings were way different from each other. I adjusted them to
specs using a 240 manual I have. The Roadster manual gives no specs

I wonder who assembled them?

They will be put on my engine as soon as it's reinstalled.

Mike