Re: 311 stroker-a few additional points

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, mallory@floorhockey.net,
Subject: Re: 311 stroker-a few additional points
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:44:14 +0000
For all:
I agree with Mike on all he says, here are a few
additional points:
-early 240 Z carbs are same diameter as U20,
if you happen across a set.  Only problem is
the float bowl of the aft carb is on the aft side,
this is not a problem with an early single resevoir
master cyl car.  Any time your dealing with used
SUs, make sure the throttle shafts are tight, or
no amount of fooling with the carbs will make them
work right.
-if you go to the expense of the head work and
porting, go with bigger valves if possible.
for low $$ approach, also,newest issue of Grassroots
Motorspots has good article on do it yourself
head work.  I would hate to grind thru a water
passage though!
-The stock exhaust manifold is about as good as a
header, so if yours is good and not cracked,
spend the money on a good free flow
2inch exhaust, there is significant power to
be gained here.  Use a braided stainless flex
(Like CDM sells) next to the manifold, because
the fat 2in pipe will not be able to move in the
hole in the frame.
-my car likes lots of initial advance, about
20 degrees, make sure if you have this much
initial advance  you have the early advance
cuve (before smog) distributor

The car will not have the 600RPM sewing machine like
idle anymore (more like a lopey 1100) but the
first time you get a 2 foot scratch going into
second, or walk away from a Miata, it will
be more than worth it.

For this year, SCCA groups all slightly modified
roadsters in CSP, a terrible disadvantage for
1500 and 1600 cars, so I pretty much figure
a stroker should be CSP also, since its same
engine size as a 2000....so far no one has
questioned this.  On the other hand, I am
in no danger of taking away anyones national
title either.......
Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Va