Re: 311 stroker-a few additional points

To: Will Slater <will45817@yahoo.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 311 stroker-a few additional points
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:46:18 -0500
Will Slater wrote:

 > When one does the stroker conversion how important is
 > it to go with at 5 spd tranny?

Will,

Not important at all!  The first gear in the 4 speed
really does help the 1600 get moving off the line,
which is why some folks don't like a 5 speed behind
a stock 1600.

For a stroker 1600, you have more torque so first
gear is not as much as an issue.  Main reason for
going with the 5 speed would be to give you that
5th gear overdrive for freeway cruising (rear end
is 5% different with the 1600: 3.9 vs. 3.7 in the
2000). So if the rpms seem a little high for
freeway cruise, and you want to drop from 3,500 rpm
down to 3,000 rpm... 5 speed would come in handy.

In addition to the 5 speed, you need the 5 speed
driveshaft, and transmission cross member (1600
could be modified to work). The 5 speed needs a shorter
speedometer cable, so you are fine there.

If your '68 1600 is an early body, you'll see the
metal plate blocking off the shorter shifter location
tack welded in place. Other wise you'll need to cut
a new hole, and block off the older hole, and get
the new console shift plate to bolt over the opening.

Tom Walter

 By the way any