Engine Compartment Spruce up-how to cheaply do it

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, datsun_sports@hotmail.com,
Subject: Engine Compartment Spruce up-how to cheaply do it
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:26:05 +0000
This is IRT the paint the engine comp question:

I left my engine in when I originally did my car,
and you can remove just about everything except the
engine.  I cleaned all the inner fenders and firewall
with kerosine and a stiff paintbrush and jet spray
gumout for the tough spots and just spritzed on some
red paint from a spray can that is very very close
to the color I painted the car (I cant tell difference).
The black stuff I spritzed with rustoleum flat black
(rad, rad shroud, rad braces, horns).  All the tin boxes
(volt reg, headlight relay, horn relay, coil bracket,
etc I wire brushed with a toothbrush size wire brush and then wiped
with a rag with a little NAPA silver anti-sieze on it
(makes a nice silver/aluminum color).  If you dont have
to paint the rad, dont.  Any extra paint coating just
reduces your heat transfer that much more....

I got an Accel hi-perf yellow coil, and
new brake and clutch master cylanders, so those
were automatically nice looking.  Its important
not to get any paint on any new parts you put in
the engine room, of course.

The key to a good looking job is to be very very careful
with the masking of things you dont want painted.

I also brought the rad overflow tank and the
heater valve to shiny brass, and painted them with
clear varnish.  21 years in the navy, got to have
some bright work in the engine room.......

Lots of hours of labor, but very little money,
and looks great.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Va