RE: 5 speed rebuilt "kit" parts numbers

To: "Vicki Burrows" <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: 5 speed rebuilt "kit" parts numbers
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 23:15:18 -0400
As far as I know there is no interchangeability between any Porsche synchros
and the Datsun synchros.  Rather they are of the same design.  Porsche (I
think) designed the servo style ring and as such they are sometimes called
Porsche type synchros.  That differentiates them from the Borg Warner style
synchros used in the later Roadster 5 speeds and the Z car transmissions.
Even if there are rings that are interchangeable the real cost is in
replacing the synchro hubs and sleeves which also wear.  The reason the
Warner box is cheaper to rebuild is that the hubs and synchro couplers in
the warner box don't wear nearly as much and rarely need replacing.
Brian
69 2000, Tampa, FL