5 speed rebuilt "kit" parts numbers

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 5 speed rebuilt "kit" parts numbers
From: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 20:48:29 +0000
To List,

I received quite a few emails a couple of weeks or so ago, when I discussed
my tranny rebuild and the easily and cheaply available parts.

I just picked up my rebuilt 5 speed tranny.  Total cost, including parts,
labor and the ugly 8.6% sales tax, was $439.  Labor $210.  Now to the parts,
as promised.  What you need is the 240z rebuild kit.  Part number (Nachi,
which I'm told is the supplier to Nissan) BK 105A WS.  That stands for "BK"
bearing kit, "105 A", not sure, "WS" with synchros.  Cost was $162.85.
Since ours needs a few more bearings not in the kit, here they are.  Need
(2) of Nachi 6205N at $11.75 each, and (1) Nachi 6304 at $10.80.  You can go
to any bearing store/supplier and they will have all the bearings at
probably cheaper prices that above.  This will rebuild your tranny with all
the bearings and all the synchros (except 5th gear, which rarely needs
replacing).  Since mine is a later car, I did not have the 5th gear neutral
problem.  Those of you that have that will still need you 5th gear fixed.
Vendors have those, I think.  Adnd this kit also does not come with gaskets.

And if I really want to get organized, maybe when I get out of my work
clothes, I'll look up the part numbers on the bearings and give those out as
well.  Per my mechanic, all the bearngs are standard and can be obtained
cheaply.  I live in a small town (40,000) and I've got a bearing supplier
here that has any of these bearings in stock cheap, so they are out there.

So, it's up to you now to decide if it's a good deal.  I think it is.  If it
turns out to be a good deal, I leave it to someone else to solve our 2000
timing set problem.  I'm working on it, but haven't solved it yet.

Allen
1970 2000