Re: 5 speed rebuilt "kit" parts numbers

To: Fred Schroeder <roadster@texoma.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5 speed rebuilt "kit" parts numbers
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 01:25:20 -0700
Fred Schroeder wrote:
> It seems that a good deal of concern has been expressed regarding the
> synchros:  i.e. that they are made of brass.  From what I've dug up on the
> 'net so far it seems that the OEM synchros for the Z box were brass. (If my
> info is wrong feel free to jump in here.)  If it was good enough for Datsun
> to put in the Z's I fail to see why they wouldn't work in ours.  According
> to Allen, the parts that came out were Nachi, the same manufacturer that
> made the overhaul kit.  Not to mention that other manufacturers boxes use
> brass as well.  Even if they wear faster I would rather replace the synchros
> (cheap) than the other parts (expensive).  IMHO, of course

Man is this getting out of hand and mixed up. :-)

Fred, my original post related simply to the quality of aftermarket
brand synchros in the kits Allen refered to. Somehow that has gotten off
into an issue of brass vs steel synchros. The two are not
interchangeable. If you have a steel synchro box (early Roadster stock
boxes and all early comp boxes) you must replace the worn parts with the
same style. If you have a brass synchro box (late Roadster, all 510s,
and all Zs - other than race cars running the early comp boxes) you must
replace the worn parts with parts for that style box. You can not mix
and match. The issue was not which was better, brass or steel. It was a
warning about substandard brass synchros being sold on the aftermarket,
especially in the kits Allen talked about. The Nissan brass synchros are
fine. Its a question of the quality of aftermarket replacement parts.

Now if we all want ot go off and discuss the virtues of brass vs
steel... No, never mind ;-)

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZX Turbo