Re: 5 speed rebuilt "kit" parts numbers

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5 speed rebuilt "kit" parts numbers
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 16:04:49 -0700
Allen Blackmon wrote:
> To List,
>
> I received quite a few emails a couple of weeks or so ago, when I discussed
> my tranny rebuild and the easily and cheaply available parts.
>
> I just picked up my rebuilt 5 speed tranny.  Total cost, including parts,
> labor and the ugly 8.6% sales tax, was $439.  Labor $210.  Now to the parts,
> as promised.  What you need is the 240z rebuild kit.  Part number (Nachi,
> which I'm told is the supplier to Nissan) BK 105A WS.  That stands for "BK"
> bearing kit, "105 A", not sure, "WS" with synchros.  Cost was $162.85.

A word of warning on the brass synchros used in most of these kits (and
most aftermarket synchro sources). They are NOT the same as Nissan
parts. I was working on this story for ZCCD before it went under, and I
took photos of dozens of aftermarket synchros, as well as a handful of
real Nissan synchros. And there were major differences that would
clearly affect their function. The differences ranged from reduced
friction surface area, to dead end slots that could cause fluid buildup
at the friction surface area, to just plain poor machine work. The
materials used were also clearly substandard as well. The rest of the
parts in the kit seemed fine (didn't really get into them other than to
look at them, so they may not be as good as Nissan, but there weren't
any obvious visual problems) but the synchros looked very, very suspect.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZX Turbo