Re: U20 timing stuff

To: orangedawg@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: U20 timing stuff
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 12:44:27 -0700
Allen,

It's virtually impossible to find individual U20 timing components for sale.
Once in a great while you will see some timing stuff on ebay but the vendors
generally don't sell the individual components any more as they are so rare.
I recently forked over a sizeable chunk of money for a complete set. When I
rebuild my engine, I am keeping all of my timing stuff for spares.

As for finding gears and tensioners, well those are the really hard to find
items. The chains and guides are more available but it's the tensioners and
gears that are so rare and difficult to reproduce. I have talked with all
the vendors and they pretty much say the same thing- "It's not going to be
cost effective to build the reproduction timing components because someone
will need to foot the bill for the molds and machining. As soon as that is
done, it would be a simple matter to undercut the price and steal the
business. Sad but true."

My advice would be to look for a U20 engine that is complete and for sale.
Check the timing components and see if they are in decent shape. It would
also be good to have the rest of the U20 engine there for spare parts. I am
doing this with my U20 engine. Any part replaced will be kept for spares.

FWIW

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC