Re: Electronic ignition..

To: "Datsun Dude" <roadstrdude@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition..
From: "roadster katman" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 18:13:34 -0700
Hi Raul,

There are pluses and minuses with it.

(-) If you go this route, document what you did and know how to put it back
to a points ignition, then carry the old points stuff with you. If the
electronic ignition were to fail on you, without warning, then at least you
can put it back to regular points and drive away.

(+) No points to degrade with the gradual loss of performance.

(-) A pre-set dwell that you can't alter, unlike points. That's why I prefer
standard points, so I can tweak the dwell for more power. I've had
electronic ignition on two of my cars and yanked them out.

(+) Swap to a higher power coil for a better spark. Can't do that on a
points setup without burning the points. You can also set the spark plug gap
wider for a more efficient spark with the electronic ignition.

Fred - So.SF
P.S. Let's meet up at In'N'Out and I'll take a look at your engine.