Re: Paint Jobs

To: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@netgate.net>
Subject: Re: Paint Jobs
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 18:11:17 -0700
Ok, I've been reading most of my 369 email messages that built up while gone
for a few days, and had to reply to the paint one... I will admit, I have a
$300.00 Earl Scheib paint job on my 67 2000.  However, before you decide
that it looks like crap, go to Datsun.org and look up car #588.  Granted, I
did all the prep work myself... all they did was shoot it.  The secret was
to 1) do good prep work (which is not that hard if the car is fairly
straight to begin with and you have a friend who knows a thing or two or who
can primer it for you); 2) ask them to use their most experienced painter;
3) have them put on several coats of clear, then 4) wet sand and buff it out
(again, not that hard once you get over your fear, and it will look like a
mirror).  Talk to an auto paint supply house about how to buff out a car,
what to use, etc.  Makes a HUGE difference.  I probably have about $400 in
my paint, and at that price I can afford to paint the car every few years if
I want, but I have not needed to.  Plus, I don't freak out when I get chips
in the paint (which you will).  By the way, my car is black.  I DRIVE my
car, I don't show it, so my standards may be different.  But, then again,
when you do something yourself, you appreciate it that much more, IMHO...
Greg Burrows