Solvang rookie (very long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, jetwing@earthlink.net, Onegarlic1@aol.com,
Subject: Solvang rookie (very long)
From: Pagone@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 15:33:31 EDT
SoCalRocers, BADRoacers, Out-of-StateRocers, roadster enthusiasts,

T h a n k   y o u ! ! !

Solvang being my first big meet, I had no idea what to expect! I just knew I
had to clean the hell out of my car because I had heard the myths about cars
like the Datster, the Beast, Calspeed's racing chariot.... I knew I was
running with the big boys...
I also knew I had to be realistic. There would be no eating off my car's
valve cover, hell, I don't even want to TOUCH the valve cover for all the
grease and grime...But my story drifts...
With Motel reservations made, mom and I registered our cars with BADROC and I
began cleaning our cars. My Dad's 69 2000 sits under a cover hibernating most
days out of the year. Between the dust bunnies & spider webs in his car and
the road grime on my 70 1600 daily driver, I think I could see bone
protruding from the ends of my fingertips Thursday night! Little did I
realize, between the scattered drizzles Friday and early Saturday morning,
the cleaning of the cars had only begun!
I felt 7 years old again, getting ready for the drive over the river and
through the woods to grandmother's house for Christmas..
We packed up Friday morning, met with the great Guru on the Hill, Victor, and
took off for Woodland Hills to meet the other roadsterites. Sitting in the
diner by the bowling alley, I watched roadsters roll into the parking lot as
if I was watching Santa pulling up in his sleigh! The more cars showed up,
the wider the grin grew across my cheeks.
Nine roadsters (one from as far away as Lake Arrowhead!) pulled out of the
lot. I took the last position in the line-up, and somehow the whole way up I
couldn't shake this tan Sentra following us! (That was Mike and Mark, a
father-son team who made the sacrifice of leaving the topless roadster at
home. Glad you guys made it anyway! Sorry I rubbed it in so much!)
The drive north was nice and rather uneventful. Minus one driver who was
apparently very eager to get to Solvang, we pulled off for a stretch in
Carpinteria. Good thing as I quickly realized roadster seats were intended
for a short, high-speed circuit around a track, and not for long road trips.
The aching back, however, had no adverse effect towards the permanent grin I
found myself stuck with!
The last length of road between our pit stop and Buellton was a gorgeous
drive with fresh, ocean air, smogless sunshine, and periodic acid-free
drizzle surrounded by green, lush land as far as the eye could see.
Then came the non-hostile take over of Motel Six. We could have had the car
show there. I lost count of the roadsters pulling into the lot all evening
long.
Road-weary and hungry a handful of people from the original caravan went to
dinner exchanging roadster stories, getting to know each other and endlessly
chatting the night away.
After heading back to the motel and tucking in our cars for the night, a sort
of welcoming-committee stayed outside talking roadsters awaiting late
arrivals.
My body began to give-in. It was time to retire to my room. A night-owl by
nature, I am used to staying up 'till the wee hours of morning, though I can
usually make myself fall asleep if I need to rise early. This wasn't
happening that night. Anticipation proved to be a battle until I eventually
drifted off.
An even bigger battle for me in the morning is the one I fight with the
snooze button. No such problem Saturday morning! The second that alarm went
off, by a miracle of nature, it seems, I sprang out of bed. "Oh my God," I
thought, "is that a rooster crowing?" Oh well. The Motel was still asleep,
the previous night's buzz hushed by a heavy mist blanketing our cars and the
surrounding countryside. I figured it's been years since I saw the sun come
up, I might as well take advantage of this opportunity. Still in my pajamas,
I took off for a drive around town awaiting the sunrise, which never came no
thanks to the fog.
When I rolled back into the motel a few people were already up drying off
their cars in preparation for the show. After a breakfast of champions (in my
book that's biscuits n' gravy!) I was ready to prep my car. Ok what the heck,
I'll polish it AGAIN! After I decided it can't get any cleaner and a few
spots won't kill it, I reluctantly put the towels away and off we went to the
park.
I could have driven that road back and forth all day! That road, except for
all the bumps rattling everything that's loose in my car, was made for a
roadster! A narrow, winding path with tree branches forming an arch overhead
allowing rays of sunlight to penetrate and shine down on the cars driving
through; all that was missing was the red carpet!
My giddiness level rocketed sky high when I pulled into the lot and saw some
of the cars that were there! I joined the ranks and parked with the other
1600's as my mom lined up with the 2000's. Like an addict not being able to
drop a bad habit I pulled the towels from the trunk and once again began to
wipe down my car. I left the top back at the motel, but luckily the drizzle
gave way to a bright, sunny sky. Even if the clouds had not parted, I don't
think bad weather would have put a damper on anyone's spirit.
As the lot quickly filled up I put the towels away, grabbed my ballot and
began investigating to find the best interior, nicest wheels, loudest
system....
And what to my wondering eyes should appear? A velvet interior! A plaid
interior! Cool! Little skull and crossbones on the front of someone's car
(glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks these cars can be wicked!)  A
lavender paint job worth more than my whole car! Nice! Mirror polished wheels
and valve covers that put my family's shiny sterling silver to shame!
Dashboards that look like they're fresh off the assembly line! Speakers
pumping out mp3's from a laptop! Dude! Hard tops, soft tops, cars so modified
they can't accomodate a top! Wow! Racing stripes, decals, emblems, floor mats
with Datsun logos!  So much eye candy, so little time!
Overall I must say I was very inspired.  From time to time when my car calls
for a major repair, I lose faith and begin thinking about selling her. Now, I
am positively convinced I cannot! Though I am still in the very slow process
of fixing it up (hence the holes where the radio and clock should go), I hope
that maybe by Solvang next year, there might be a category of "best improved"
roadster.
After the ballots were cast, it was time to play. Some people went into town,
some took off for the fun run (was it, Victor?) I decided to satisfy my
morbid curiosity. I heard there was an old cemetery dating back to the late
1800's tucked away in some little town on the outskirts of Solvang. We drove
around in circles before finally finding it. What a fun drive it was through
the country. I take for granted living a block from the freeway surrounded by
goliath concrete structures what beautiful scenery exists in California.
Rolling hills covered in lush greenery as far as the eyes could see with two
little roadsters rumbling down the roads. Poor locals! I felt guilty driving
my non smog polluting their air destroying the peace and quiet!
Too soon it was time to go back to the park for lunch. The cars rested as
everyone enjoyed a great, catered meal followed by Pam's roadster cookies for
desert. Thanks Pam! Awards were given to the top three cars in each category
and best of show. A special thank you honoring one of the most helpful gurus
was awarded to Victor, my personal hero! Thank you for all your help! I
wouldn't have made it without that last minute starter exchange just days
before Solvang!
After the festivities it was time to part. Farewells and see-you-laters were
exchanged and Mom and I headed off to Solvang. Windmills, porcelain, and wine
tasting galore. What a cute town! To my dismay, however, by the time we got
into town, most shops were already closing. I guess that's a good thing when
one is a compulsive shopper! I found a token souvenir to bring home with my
memories of a wonderful trip.
We spent the night again and drove home early Sunday morning. Needless to say
the drive home was sad. I couldn't believe it was all over! The few hours it
took to get home gave me time to reflect on what a great experience this was.
I was reunited with people I met on the last run to Mt. Wilson (when's the
next one, by the way?), and met new people I am looking forward to seeing
again! I was impressed by how friendly and outgoing everyone was, and how
eager to help. I let it slip that for some reason my car lacks oomph and on
all sides of me people are telling me to pop the hood, release the e-brake,
and get out of the way as they dive in to tinker around. Thanks Harry! I can
get it revving to 5000 rpms in 1st and 2nd before I lose power. I'll look
into new points on my next day off!
So I'll end my ramblings with another thank you! Thank you for the
inspiration and for being such a well-tuned group of people! It is sincerely
a pleasure to be a part of this!
Vilia
1970 1600 with attitude