Re: OT- I ALMOST DIED TONIGHT!!!!!

To: twalter@austin.rr.com
Subject: Re: OT- I ALMOST DIED TONIGHT!!!!!
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:44:15 -0800 (PST)
I really don't understand what went wrong.  If the seals were bad wouldn't i
of lost brake fluid?  When we got the car the brakes were great reagular
feeling power brakes where you barely have to touch the pedal to get the
car to slam to a halt.  After driving for about 4 hours the pedal started to
feel less stiff and it took more effort and pedal travel to stop the car.  Then
all of a sudden the pedal goes all the way to the floor with no brake action...
could this of been the heating up of the fluid.  When the pedal first started
to get soft I pulled over and check the resevoir and there was no loss of
fluid and no fluid leaking from anywhere that I could see so I shrugged it
off and kept driving....
        Its hard to think to do the correct thing in a car that you are totally
unfamilar with.  I tried putting the car into 1st but because of a linkage issue
it will only go into 2nd and that was not slowing the car enough.  Then I
reached
for the parking brake but I went for where the brake is in a roadster and the
jags parking brake is under the dash like in an american car and well I am sure
I could of reacted better....
        The conversion was done about ten years ago by a company called
rebello performance I believe.  THe conversion appears to of been done well with
solid moter mounts and no bashed in oil pan.
        I think I am going to need a new transmission...after putting  it in 2nd
and having it not slow the car I paniked and put it in park...made a horrible
grinding noise but it sure slowed the car down some....

        Daniel