Re: Undercoatings

To: "Thomas Walter" <twalter@austin.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Undercoatings
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:31:40 -0500
"For time and effort, the "whole body dipping" is the way to go."

In many restoration mags such as Classic Auto Restorer (no longer exists), I
purchased and read over the years there has been a great debate amongst
restoration shops regarding this method.

The problem with dipping is that EVERYTHING is removed including seam sealer
and primer applied when the bodies were immersed in primer at the factory.
Oftentimes you can't reach all the areas to reapply paint or seam sealer
after the bodies are welded together. The other problem is that if ALL the
solvents aren't removed from everywhere COMPLETELY the solvents will
gradually leak out and remove the newly applied paint. Many shops had this
happen to them and they had to redo the entire car.

If the dip shop doesn't dip the body in phosphate or prime the body after
stripping it, the metal will start to rust immediately due to the body being
damp from water and other detergents to say nothing of the insides of the
door posts, rockers, etc.

While it sounds great there are many negatives to it also.

PLUS dipping ain't cheap - far from it.

After a lot of research I had my car media blasted everywhere and it turned
out great and well worth the $500 or so it cost (dipping estimates were
about 2K from RediStrip for everything).

Some of you may disagree which is fine, but I still wouldn't recommend the
dip method if other alternatives exist.

One more thing, dipping facilities are few and far between that can strip an
entire body.

Mike