Re: Welding (OTish)

To: Marc Tyler <marc@animalfirm.com>,
Subject: Re: Welding (OTish)
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 10:43:25 -0600
>snyler:

> I might get in hot water for welding in the "Mud Room"  where the dryer
> plug is.  I probably could and should run a 220 line in the shop though.
> Even if not for a welder, when we replace the compressor, I hope to get a
> beefier unit.

Okay, then don't weld in the laundry room. Marc, I can just see Heidi's
reaction. I expect Elayne's would be very similar, if our washer and dryer
weren't in the garage. Like I said, I think an extra drop might work out.
I've actually not done much direct to the panel wiring, although I may
tackle replacing our main panel soon, but the extra drop placed where you
want it and won't get into trouble using it is probably a better idea than
trying to cobble up a large gauge extension.

In addition to the places already mentioned, Tractor Supply and Home Depot
often have pretty good sales on the small Lincolns. A question for the
experienced welders. For hobby use like we're discussing, is a 20% duty
cycle that big a handicap compared to a 30 to 35% unit, which would probably
have a higher current output, too?

Inquiring minds, etc.

Ron