Re: Welding (OTish)

To: twalter@austin.rr.com
Subject: Re: Welding (OTish)
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 17:31:01 +0100
Tom, it's like our (very) old 2 phase. Here we have 3 wires
with 220-230V between each phase and the zero/ground.
Depending how each phase is hooked up to an electrical
motor it's possible to make the motor spin in each direction
if two of the phases change places on the motor. All houses
here have 3 phase 380-400V and to load it equal, they split
them up to 3 groups of single phase 220-230V. The main
idea with 400V MIG-welders is that it's possible to use lower
rating main fuses to get more even current. I have not yet
tried a 220V MIG-welder here that can gererate this even
flow of current but development continues I guess. For gas
I use a CO2 & Argon mix (25%/75%) for mild steel, HE & Argon
mix (30%/70%) and TIG for stainless is Argon. All of these have
about 0.2% Mison gas added to reduce Ozone because it
gives me a sore throat after a while. Mison is common use in
welding gas here. The use of Helium for stainless MIG weldings
has been difficult since September 11:th since all Helium
comes from USA and the export permit office was in one of
the WTC towers.

Thomas