Re: In defense of the Miata

To: <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>, <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>,
Subject: Re: In defense of the Miata
From: Bamandpeb@aol.com
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 22:22:01 EST
Mike:

I think your experience with different cars over the years helps explain this
broader view.
I started with Triumph TR-3's in the mid 70's, and feel lucky to still be alive
after having a hood come up at speed, break the windshield, and barely miss
decapitation as it flew over the car. It was already 25 years old, and even
though it handled like a wet noodle, and the brakes disappeared after using the
wrong fluid, there was nothing better than cruising on the highway, have women
in Mercedes smiling as you went by.
The reason to move to a Datsun then is the same as moving to a Miata now.
HANDLING. The Datsun was the best affordable sports car then, and the Mazda is
the best in its price range now. I loved the looks of the TR-4 (early), and
hated the 240-Z because everyone and their neighbor owned one, and now we have
3 240's.

Bottom line: 20 years from now, Miata owners will be exactly were we are today,
complaining about the 2021 model ****** as a sleazy imitation of their great
sportscar. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Your opinions
may vary.

Dan & Susan
Multiple 2000's , 3 240-Z's,