Re: Solexes

To: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>, <SRL311guy@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Solexes
From: "Mike Kerr" <mikekerr@innercite.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:58:51 -0700
Andrew...

the diffrence between the soloexs and the SUs has a lot to do with the solex
cam shaft..
if you use the solex cam shaft with the SUs the power band is  the same..
the effective throttle area of both carbs is about the same , the SU is
actually  a hair bigger than the solex ....
one advantage of the solex, is throttle responce as they have accerator
pumps..
also solexs will idle better with hotter cam shafts..
to make the  SUs have good throttle responce you have to raise the float
level up and this effects the idle, not a problem on a race car but a hassle
for on the street..
As far as dead zones that is not the carbs  but the tuneing , i have  solexs
and run with a 330 duration cam, 530 lift, it idles at 700 rpm  and runs
smooth though the whole rpm range,  also though there is not much pull under
4000 rpms, (has nothing to do with the solexs but the cam shaft.   I did run
SUs on it , but it would not idle below 1000 rpms..  The solexs idled better

Mike Kerr
Roadster Restoration
PH# 530-644-6777
Fax # 530-644-7252