Re: Solexes

To: SRL311guy@aol.com
Subject: Re: Solexes
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:46:41 -0700
Ah, the old debate between Solexes and SUs kick up again. I have driven a
solex car and an SU car. I think that both types of carbs will give great
performance, but each is designed for a different application.

I once made the mistake of saying that my solex powered 67 2000 was the
fastest roadster I had ever driven. Craig Carter then challenged me to a
race up a twisty road. He said to "bring your pink slip". He may have been
kidding about the pink slip, but he wasn't kidding about the race.

Vic Laury let me drive his SU car and I felt it had every bit as much power
as my solex car until it got into the 5k plus range. The solexes pull all
the way to redline and I have yet to see an SU car do that. Consequently,
the SUs offer better accelaration through the lower gears, while the solexes
have "dead zones" until you climb over 2500 to 3000 RPM. Once in that range,
the solexes roar to life.

So it depends on what you want. I like the solexes. They have power and
let's face it, they SOUND so cool. The SUs are definitly better suited for
city driving and give even levels of power until you climb to the higher
revs.

My .02

Andrew Murphy
1964 1500