Re: Head Bolt Torque: 66 1600

To: Dan Zubkoff <datsun65@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Head Bolt Torque: 66 1600
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:36:00 -0600
Dan,

The 35# spec is wrong. Which book is that?  That was
the original L16 (1600 motor) spec, which lead to blown
head gaskets right and left. ;-(

I've posted a list of torque values. Handy reference to
keep.  Do you have a cast iron head or aluminum head?
I usually kept the torque to 60# on the aluminum heads
on engines I rebuilt. Never had a problem. Do NOT retorque
to a lower value, as the head gasket will blow out.

You should be fine with the head torque to 65#. One
thing I use is a beam torque wrench on the head bolts
to get a good feel of the pull of the head.

Tom Walter    '68 2000
Austin, TX