a grand day out turns ugly

To: "Autox" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: a grand day out turns ugly
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:14:47 -0800
Damn! I  even had on my Wallace and Grommit tee-shirt. Pam and I decided to
put a few more miles on the beast so's I could re-torque the head. We headed
off towards PCH on surface streets, a cruise down the coast, and back up the
405 home. 50 miles at most. The perfect plan.

Well, we got about eight miles and suddenly, she started starving for fuel.
We coasted into a shopping center parking lot on Warner and I thought that
sediment had gotten into the carb jets. Nope. Clean and clear. So I pulled
out the spare inline fuel filter from the trunk, thinking that the glass
bowl was sucking air again. No luck.
Hmmmm. This was getting strange. Then Pam said "Did you hear that sproingy
noise just before it died?"

I had not. However,  I am reasonably certain that plugged carb jets do not
go sproing! We called AAA and they hauled the beast back home on a flatbed.
What I found is posted at Photopoint. The pivot shaft on the fuel pump
either fell out or broke. The pivot arm, a source of trouble on the
mechanical fuel pumps I am told, appears to be fine, but the bugger went and
cracked the casting on the pump while it was flailing around shaftless.

Oh well. Time for a new fuel pump. Better now than the end of April!

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=881168&a=6499541&f=0